Thursday, February 7, 2013

Shots

Poor little cookie had her 4 month check up yesterday which included another round of shots. The shots themselves went okay but she just hasn't been herself since then. She's been feverish, pouty and sensitive, and needing lots of love. Most days, I'll admit I do a little mental jig (and sometimes a real song and dance) when she goes down for the night. It just feels SO good to have my hands free at the end of the day. But when she's hurting, I will gladly snuggle her tiny body, rub her soft back with my fingers, rock her in my arms while singing quietly, and stay nearly motionless for an hour so she can get some much needed rest on my chest. I feel filled with a patience beyond my own to comfort and care for this little person.


Our doctor teases me that I always get a little emotional during her shots. I silently sobbed my eyes out during her PKU test. I do a little better each time, but the sentiment stays the same. I don't want my baby to feel pain. She's too new here, too innocent and pure. She trusts and loves because it's all she knows. I'm sure she's already forgotten yesterday's shots, but until she's back to herself, it's hard for me to forget those tears.

4 comments:

  1. When you're pregnant it's hard to imagine or predict the many ways being a mother changes your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry she isn't feeling well from the shots. So glad she has a loving mother to help her through it. (And a father who provides so you can be there for her.) That picture is so sweet. It could be on the front of a card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words are SO perfect. I have had those exact emotions/thoughts but wasn't able to put it in to words. You're such a wonderful Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... I cried just reading it! Love you and your precious little bundle. :)

    ReplyDelete