Tuesday, April 16, 2013

6 months


6 months has felt like a big milestone for Mariah in a lot of ways. The biggest change has been with her sleeping. Months 4 and 5 were more or less a long string of completely sleepless nights. We decided changes were in order. I was so hesitant to try any form of crying it out, but even after being consistent with the bedtime routine we needed extra help. I finally decided to go ahead and try it after realizing that crying for brief timed intervals for a few nights before bed is a lot less total crying than waking up every hour or two crying during the night. The first night was way easier than expected, the second night was tougher, and on the third night- I kid you not- I put her down in her crib and she smiled at me, and without a peep she fell asleep and slept for 8 hours. Magic. It's been a few weeks now, and things aren't always that good but she sleeps much better, and she now takes 2-3 regular naps during the day. The routine has made us all a lot happier and better rested. Sometimes I hear myself rambling on about baby sleep schedules, eating habits, etc...and realize how boring it is...but then keep going.



Mariah started sleeping in her own room too. That turned out to be a much harder transition for me than for her. The first night I was wracked with nightmares that I lost my baby and couldn't find her anywhere.


The other big changes have been eating solids once a or twice a day, sitting up, and she cut her first tooth just a few days shy of 6 months!


She still grabs at everything and tries to eat the whole world. I always put her in the hallway outside the bathroom with some toys while I take a shower, and when I get out I sometimes find that she has rolled over to the wall and is munching on the baseboards. It makes me laugh. She chews on eveeryyything like a little puppy.


Well, at 6 months, Mariah likes:
Rolling over back to belly
FOOD. She has tried brown rice, avocado, pears, carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas, blueberries, apples, oatmeal, and zucchini. As far as I can tell, she loves it all.
Chewing, biting, sucking, and drooling
Blowing raspberries. She has figured out that this is even more fun to do with a mouth full of food.
Giggling. The sound of her laugh is pure joy.
Sucking on both her thumbs at the same time.
Grabbing, pinching, and swatting my face.
My phone and my water bottle. 
When Matt comes home and plays with her. One of my favorite parts of the day is listening to her squeal with delight in the other room while she plays with her dad and I cook dinner. 
Toys. Her favorite things right now are this silicone basting brush I pulled out of the kitchen gadgets drawer, and her own hair brush. Go figure. 
Infant Motrin. Thank heavens for this stuff. It was a life saver last week.
The wind.
Long walks in her stroller.

Mariah does not like:
Teething :(
Riding in the sling. She just gets frustrated and tries to dive out of it now.
Rolling over belly to back
If I try to get anything done. Broad statement but mostly true.

I get her best smiles when I move my face from behind the camera, but then the picture is always way off center!






8 comments:

  1. Just when you think she couldn't be any cuter...
    Great pictures, great lists. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness these are the cutest. I love that little outfit and the update. Wish we lived closer! You are a WONDERFUL mother and she's just about the sweetest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sweater onesie! And her cheeks... oh, I just want to kiss them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute outfit but the little girl inside of it is even cuter!! She could be a baby model. Thanks for sharing her growing up with us! I love your updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha. I give Jane the silicone basting brush too. She was totally weirded out the first time she touched the bristles, but now she likes it. Cute pictures. She's such a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, and love as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is gorgeous. I'm so glad to hear that sleeping has improved for everyone. And teeth! I'm guessing we are months out from that. I hope it isn't too rough on her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutest little thing ever! I don't know why it makes me feel better to hear that Mariah isn't a perfect sleeper. I hope that's okay. Henley isn't so good herself and everyone else's child seems to be sleeping 12 hrs a night with 3 two hr naps a day. We finally tried the crying it out too and she is sleeping well most nights. Anyway, congrats on creating a really adorable babe!

    ReplyDelete