Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Today was a perfect microcosm of the entire winter season.

8:00 am- Matt and I have a conversation about how awesome it is that the weather is starting to warm up a bit, and the snow hasn't stuck for the last couple weeks. We look out the window and celebrate the fact that we don't have to scrape our cars this morning.

8:30 am- I get dressed in the least wintery clothes I can while still maintaining some warmth. Flats, jeans, a jacket.

8:50 am- I look out the window once more before I leave and find a full fledged snow storm going on. I change my clothes. Boots and parka.

9:00 am- 2 cars spin out on the freeway in front of me. Scary. Add 30 minutes to my drive to Provo.

10:00 am- Snowstorm hits Provo. My thesis advisor calls me and asks me to run to his classroom to tell his students that he'll be late. Walk to classroom in blizzard, my boot comes apart at the toe and my sock and foot are now soggy and freezing.

12:00 pm- Try to find my car in a parking lot full of snow burried vehicles. Think I spot it in the back, a few aisles away. Someone follows me to my car and watches as I try to open it. I wipe off some snow from the window and look inside and see that indeed, it is not my car. Wave sorry to person who was waiting for my spot.

12:15 pm- Stand in parking lot and think really really really hard about where I parked this morning. Decide to start back at the beginning. Remember how I got a great spot right at the front of the parking lot. Wow good thing it saved me all that time as I walked right past it and wandered all over the whole lot!

1:15 pm- Foot is still soggy and freezing. Met Matt at our favorite Thai place for lunch. Finally stopped snowing. A ray of sunshine breaks through.

I am so ready to go home, get in the hot tub, and call it a day!

7 comments:

  1. oh man! i remember those days back at byu! did NOT love trekking around campus in the snow, coming home with my jeans soaked up to the knee! OR the RB parking lot (assuming that's where you parked) i could never remember where i parked. ever. and i hated fighting for a spot. oh - and walking up the rb stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha yes! that's exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories. They always make me smile. (or laugh!) I haven't decided if you really have that different of things happen to you or if its the fact that you are a really, really good story teller/writer. That's a talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above comment was actually me, Janis. Not sure why Devon's name is there. Maybe because he uses my computer a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree with this post/rachel's comment. yuck parking at byu - walking around school in the winter is not fun at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is it about parking lots that UNIVERSALLY give people such a hard time?

    ReplyDelete