Sunday, June 10, 2012

Things that made me cry


(picture from 23 weeks)

During my first trimester, I wrote down some things that made me cry, partly to see if I would look back and laugh. I could just sum up this list and say "basically everything" but these are a few things I can definitely laugh about now:
  • The Bachelor. But just the part where they were in Switzerland and they showed these little black baby lambs frolicking in a meadow. Can't take the cuteness! 
  • Never Say Never. Yeah the Justin Bieber movie. What? In every concert they pulled a girl from the audience and the Biebs gave her a bouquet of roses and sang "One Less Lonely Girl" to her. And that day, there truly was one less lonely girl.
  • Matt getting my food requests wrong. I said: take a corn tortilla, put some beans and cheese on it, and cook it on the stove. Nice try melting the cheese in the microwave and thinking I wouldn't notice. Tears ensued.
  • Waking up hungry at 3 am. Staaaarving. Feels like I haven't eaten in 10 days and I don't know where my next food source is coming from. Super stressful... must eat everything in sight. The days of Matt and I casually sharing food and eating off each other's plates is temporarily over. Must guard all food with every fiber of my being. (I think I cried more over being hungry than anything else.)
  • Love Story by Taylor Swift. Just kidding. This song made me cry way before I was pregnant, I just feel comfortable being open about it now. I always think I'm doing fine, and then the end gets me. Every time!
  • The Oscars red carpet coverage. When the celebs started coming out of the limos. This I have no explanation for. 
  • Commercials for: Kleenex, Gerber, American Family Insurance, Kraft cheese, hospitals, animal shelters, orange juice...
(Can you tell I was watching a lot of TV? A lot of time was spent feeling yucky on the couch.)


Even though these are some things I can laugh about, on a more serious note, it can be really frustrating feeling out of control of my moods. It was by far the worst part of my first trimester (okay maybe tied with extreme hunger), and it wasn't easy to talk about with my doctor. Maybe some of you can relate. I am feeling pretty much back to normal these days (see smiling picture, haha), but can't help but worry about postpartum depression. If anybody has dealt with feelings of depression during or after pregnancy, I'd love to hear some things that may have helped you.

6 comments:

  1. There is something about tears and motherhood that are inseparably connected. Happened to me too! Your picture is darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful! This list made me laugh only because I can relate. Also: things that helped me with postpartum depression: not being alone, sertraline(zoloft), exercise when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh the crying episodes. I remember random commercials making me cry. I hated not being in control of my moods too. Depression wise.... I was on meds during all my pregnancies, fruit, walking, talking/ venting, I'm also a big believer in going on a date in the first 10 days without the baby. Even if it's just a walk around the block it gets that first time leaving the baby with someone over with. Couple time is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne, those are really good ideas

      Delete
  4. lol, I'd like to tell what happened to me yesterday, but there is no way I'm immortalizing my psychosis online. Post-delivery, the major thing that helped me was exercise. Going to Zumba made a major difference. I think physically it was helpful, obviously, but also it was the only time that I had to myself, which made me feel less suffocated. PS You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thanks Sarah, you will have to save that story for another time I guess...hopefully for when you guys come to Utah this summer :)

      Delete