Sunday, October 2, 2011

Outfit Fail

First, recall that when I started my job at the COB in May, I was self-conscious about not wanting to dress/look like a sister missionary because, as everyone knows, that generally translates into drab and frumpy.

On Friday I had to give a client presentation, so I woke up slightly earlier than normal to get ready. I put on a new skirt and went through a couple outfits until I felt good and Matt gave me his stamp of approval. Feelin' good!

Then a few hours later at work I found out that my presentation was rescheduled, bummer, wasted a new outfit. But it gets worse.

After work, I was standing outside in Temple Square waiting for Matt to join me, and a couple missionaries walked by and one of them said, "Hi sister!" I thought he was just being friendly, so I waved and said hi back. Then he said, "Where's your companion??" It hit me hard: I look like a sister missionary. Ouch. I said, "Oh um I'm not a missionary!" And his response was "oh SORRY!! I'm SO sorry!" which really made it worse, because the way he said it clearly indicated that he knew what he said was an insult.

To make myself feel better I will take this as a sign that the new and improved dress and grooming guidelines for the sister missionaries must have really taken effect, because I promise you I was not wearing Dr. Scholl's or a floor length black fleece skirt.

5 comments: